Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Have we only been here a day?? It feels like 2 weeks!

Sunday. June 5 & Monday, June 4
So the wifi situation is mediocre at best. I have realized what an American I am when it comes to the internet and convenience. I can pretty much deal and get by with anything but with the wifi thing doing the blog is, quite frankly a chore here. It takes forever to load pictures. I got up early this morning to post my blog from yesterday which was all typed out and ready to go and it took over an hour and a half. I couldn't even get the pictures loaded. So needless to say I may not be posting every day. Also the phone situation is not the greatest so for those family members who I had planned to call I love you but at a Euro a minute ($1.30) we will have to wait until I can Skype call you for free. J
I will say that not having to bother with the internet is something I may be able to get used to. I am combining dos dias en la blog. Sunday, June 3 was amazing! I got up early…not because I wanted to but because there was an amazing thunderstorm that was rolling in on the Mediterranean. It was beautiful and it smelled like sea and rain. A couple of us girls took a long walk down to the water and along the marina.  To this area its a 5 minute or less walk from the apartment.
Conrad this one was for you!  :)
Cait smiling with our feed in the sand...well mine were...thats why my shoes are missing my body.  Just behind Cait on the left is headed back to the area where we live.
We ventured into the city a bit and then into the streets. It is very beautiful here. 
The area we live in is more of what I would call a modern barrio.
This is the wifi Coffee Shop we found.  The language barrier is huge but somehow we got the password and ended up with a coffee drink I think was a cappucino!
There are newer yet rundown buildings and housing complexes. Not too far from here is more of what I expected with stone walls, cobble stone streets and basilicas. This is why they tell you not to have expectations! No worries though I am not disappointed a bit.
We were making our way back when we stumbled upon the most amazing outdoor market which was just getting underway. Proprietors were setting up their goods and services. 
We were delighted to come back when things were in full swing. It ended up being a festival that was only in town for the weekend. We had stumbled upon the last day! So no beach day for us. We wanted to relish in the possibilities. 
I have been missing mi gata so I have to harrass the street cats.  They all run from me but as you can see are full of mischeif.

We got Alyssa and went back to the festival.  2nd trip of the day!

After an afternoon siesta we went for the third trip of the day! Again another walk through the streets which were now insanely crowded we arrived just in time to catch the acrobat show.
 

 We ate at a restaurant which was in the piazza with a nearly front row view of the show. It was so fun to people watch.
We talked about how the Spaniards seem to deal with their children differently than what we are accustomed to in America. It was interesting how involved the fathers were. The fathers seemed to be more of the caretakers. Also when a child fell or became unruly, which was an exception the families dealt with the kids like an adult, correcting with a mellow tone. A child got hurt pretty bad no one panicked. They just dealt with it and moved on. The people seem calmer somehow. Less fearful.
We did some fun shopping and looked at everything twice. The prices weren't bad and it was so fun to get authentic Mediterranean goods. Most of which was homemade. It put most farmers markets I have seen to shame!
Can you believe this man with Alyssa made carvings with his feet!  He learned when he was a boy.  He was from Marrakech. 
When we got home we pretty much flopped in bed, after a shower of course, the humidity here is crazy! 
Monday June 4, I woke up early to do the blog, like a mentioned. After 2 espressos and an hour and a half I bagged the blog and headed for class. We met the professors and the rest of the group for a walking tour of the area. We got to see the University where we will be studying, the metro stops, Dr. Medill's favorite places, and the essentials.
The marina.
The government building in the plaza.
You can see the Castle of Santa Barbara in the back ground.
Mi Escuela!
 Cynthia, the program coordinator on this end, gave us the run down on the place and the week. It was a lot to take in but we all stopped to rest our feet at an amazing Italian place. Wow! I could eat this calzone every day! The crust was so thin that it was really mostly the veggies and sauce in the middle. I know it looks huge but it was do 'able and delicioso!
After a long day Sam and I went for a siesta on the beach, and got a little sun. What a day. We went back to the supermercado…I took some pictures this time.
Got a few goods and now we are getting ready for our first full day of class tomorrow.
I ate a lovely dinner on the patio and watched the sunset over the ocean.  I even did a load of laundry!
So far this experience has been fantastic. It is amazing how much you can grow when you're willing to open yourself up to possibilities and be open minded. J What's your dream?

No comments:

Post a Comment