Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Mas Granada. My favorite so far!

Saturday June 16th
I am my mother's daughter. I did the unthinkable and I skipped the morning tour to have some alone time. I can't tell you how nice it was to have some free time. I took a long shower in a super clean hotel. I did a relaxing mediation and read a little in my book. It was just what I needed to be able to love the people again. Even though I have always said I could live in a commune I realize that I like time to myself. Everyone was back at the hotel by 2pm and we all had lunch. It was a buffet with Paella and an assortment of other things. We headed out for a walking tour of the city and a tour of La Catedral which was built in the 16th century.


This one reminded me of my principe!! 
I don't know if you can see from the picture but the horse in the middle is actually stepping on the neck of an Arab.  Armondo Sr. pointed this out.  I found it quite political and indicative of the times.  Why is it human nature to conquer?
It was built Isabelino style to impress the inhabitants of Granada after the re-conquest to show the power of the Christians. It was exquisite as you can see. From the outside it is very unassuming but once you step in the doors I swear I could hear Ahhhhh.
After that lovely tour Cait and I had decided to go back to the San Nicholas area and I am so glad we did. We stopped at a little Arab market to see what they had. The shops were tiny and they had some beautiful tapestries but they were way too expensive for me. Cait and I hailed a taxi and headed back up to the tiny streets of San Nicholas.
When we arrived it was super hot. Perfect timing for a smoothie!
 We sat on the wall and watched the people and enjoyed the view of Alhambra. There were musicians and it was just lovely to hear them play. I took a picture of a lovely Spanish couple who were cuddling on the wall. It made me miss my love.
We walked the streets for a few hours and just took pictures. Taking in what in my mind is the picture of Spain. The people were so interesting.
 We stopped in the plaza and had some sangria and a muy fresco tomato and cucumber salad. Our waitress was such a hoot. Even though I said no hablo mucho espanol and she acknowledged she still continued to rattle on in Spanish. Cait and I were both looking like huh?? 
We walked some more and then made our way to El Huerto de Jan Ranas, which was a little restaurante that over looked the Alhambra and had some amazing sunset views.
  Armondo Sr. had told us that Bill Clinton (he pronounced it like Cleen-tOn) had written about San Nicholas and said it was the most amazing sunset he had ever seen in his life. Well I don't know about that...but I can say it was the best day and evening I have had so far on the trip. Cait and I just sat and talked. We ate aged cheese with olive oil and had a drink. It was so relaxing. The people were amazing to talk to and there was a lovely group of English people next to us that thought I was from Canada. Lol. We took pictures for them and them for us.
 After the sunset we took a taxi back to the hotel. Alicia wanted to grab a glass of wine so she and I hit the streets. We found a little place tucked off the main drag. Definitely a local spot!
 I was so tired though that I wasn't much company. I had to call it a night. I am so glad I did as mornings always come too quickly.

Sunday June 17th
Morning came as usual with a frenzy of girls getting ready, grabbing breakfast and hoping on the bus. Let's just say the party didn't stop for most until 6am. One girl had to go to the hospital for alcohol poisoning and I was hearing a lot of ugh I can't believe I feel like this, I am sick and I am still drunk. Just as we were loading the bus we even had someone run off quickly looking pretty green. I just have to chuckle and settle in with my book. Cait and I got seats all to ourselves so we could spread out. Yippeee!!! First stop was Alhambra. It was a long and hot stop but it was amazing!!! I could totally live there. Then again who couldn't live in a palace with gardens and fountains and of course gatos!!! As you can see I was picture happy.
 
Alhambra was built by the Arabs in the mid 14th century.  It has survived many wars and political takeovers.  Es muy bonita!
Back on the bus and headed to Guadiz which is a small community where people live in modern caves. It was very neat to see. We got to tour two of them.
People actually let us come into their homes of course we had to pay and the living rooms were small gift shops. I bought another little hand fan for 2 euros. You can't believe how handy those fans are until your sweating your butt off! I got my book finished on the ride home and took a few 10 minute or so naps here or there. It was neat to watch the scenery go by. We got back about 9pm and the streets were crazy crouded with the Hougeras Fesitval I rushed down to the wifi café to skype my Dads and Grandpa for father's day. It was so lovely to talk to everyone. I sure miss my people! On my way back to our apartment I decided to stop in and visit the girls who didn't make the trip. We got caught up laughing and chatting. We went to the cubano mojito bar next door for a mojito and then headed out to the beach which I missed so much.
  What an amazing night. I must say it was my favorite night in Alicante. Just very relaxing and we laughed our heads off. I love these kiddos!

No comments:

Post a Comment